Hey guys it’s Sam! Do you have your game faces on? Because today we’ll be talking turkey about some of the most promising video games to expect this fall for the 7th-gen consoles (PS3, X360, Wii, 3DS) and the 8th-gen consoles (PS4, Xbox One, Wii U). And I’ll have you know now–this season has an ample number of seemingly great games. (To see information about certain games, click “Details” under each picture!)
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (11-13; Wii U)
Much like in the original DKC sequel, Dixie Kong will be joining the adventure alongside an unannounced character. You can now swim in the game, but you can also do underwater spin attacks if you encounter any enemies in the seas. Tropical Freeze takes pages from many classic games’ books: to regain breath you can collect underwater bubbles à la Sonic, and you can uproot things and throw stunned enemies à la SMB 2. Dave Wise, composer for the original DKC trilogy, will be returning to compose the music. But who knows?–Maybe Nintendo will make a third Returns game and add Kiddy Kong!
Just Dance 2014 (9-8-13; PS3, Wii, Wii U, X360/Q4 ’13; PS4, XBOne)
- On-Stage Mode: One player dances in a main routine while two others dance backup routines.
- “Ghost Mode”: One player dances against ghost renditions of a friend’s prior gameplay.
- Karaoke Mode: Players get points for singing the right notes and actually don’t get punished for singing incorrectly. This mode only works on consoles with a mic, so that’s basically every console but the Wii.
- Just Dance DJ Mode: Players can switch between songs and “shape the music” via dancing; this mode is Xbox One exclusive.
- Party Master Mode: The Wii U’s exclusive take on Just Dance 4‘s “Puppet Master” mode. Use the GamePad to change the game rules, the current song, and select dance moves for up to four players with Wii Remotes.
- Battle Mode: What does it sound like?
Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure (9-24-13; 3DS, Wii U, PC)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (11-13; 3DS)
Arrows for shooting enemies and mallets for nailing pegs was showcased in early LBW footage; besides that, the magic meter refills on its own. Yep, no potions needed. Link’s bow, hammer, and even bombs rely on the magic meter. At full health, Link’s sword shoots projectiles like in LTTP.This is probably the best new feature: Link can actually jump into walls and become a drawing to slither up the wall to reach new areas. However, this feeds off your magic meter, so be conservative. IGN says the game has “everything [they] wanted from a Nintendo 3DS Zelda game” after playing the demo.
Lego Marvel Super Heroes (9-18-13; PC, DS, 3DS, PS3, PS4, Vita, Wii U, X360, XBOne)
Super Mario 3D World (12-13; Wii U)
A maximum of four players may explore the same level at the same time with each character, sharing from a collection of extra lives. Like in New SMB Wii, players can pick up one another to help them across select areas. Alongside the return of the Tanooki Suit and the Fire Flower, a brand new suit will appear–the Cat Suit, allowing its wearer to wall-climb, perform unique attacks, climb to the top of the final flag pole, and run at a faster speed. The GamePad comes into play so its user can rub the touch-screen to reveal blocks or items that have been hidden, as well as to stun enemies to assist players. The Wii U’s Off-TV Play is supported by Super Mario 3D World.
Regular Show: Mordecai & Rigby in 8-Bit Land (10-29-13; 3DS)
You can swap between Mordo and Rigs at any time; Mordo can double jump, and Rigby’s meager size can fit him through more confined spaces. Also, Mordo can transform into a spaceship (makes more sense in context). Anyway, be sure to check out Mordo and Rigs in 8-Bit Land when it hits stores for the 3DS this October.
Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON’T KNOW! (11-12-13; PS3, X360, Wii U, 3DS)
You can play as Finn, Jake, Marcie, and even Cinnamon Bun. However, news has it you can also play as LSP and Flame Princess. The dungeon has a massive hundred floors to conquer, and you can also play with up to three of your buddies. The game’s development by WayForward received a little aid from show creator Pen Ward himself, and it’s being published by D3 Publisher–publisher of 10,000 Ben 10 games. Oh, that reminds me–look out for Ben 10 Omniverse coming this November to the PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, DS, 3DS, and Wii U. Also look out for Explore the Dungeon Because I DON’T KNOW!, also coming this November.
SOME MORE GAMES YOU MIGHT WANT TO LOOK OUT FOR
- Rayman Legends (9-3-13; PS3, X360, Wii U)
- Total War Rome 2 (9-3-13; PC)
- Grand Theft Auto V (9-17-13; PS3, X360)
- FIFA 14 (9-24-13; PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, PS Vita, X360, XBOne, PC, iOS, Android)
- NBA 2K14 (10-1-13; PS3, X360)
- Beyond Two Souls (10-8-13; PS3)
- Pokemon X & Y (10-12-13; 3DS)
- Skylanders Swap Force (10-13-13; 3DS, PS3, PS4, Wii U, Wii, X360, XBOne)
- Sonic Lost World (10-22-13; Wii U, 3DS)
- Batman Arkham Origins (10-25-13; PC, PS3, X360, Wii U)
- Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate (10-25-13; PS Vita, 3DS)
- Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (???; Wii U)
- Mario Party 10 (???; 3DS)
- Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games (???; Wii U, 3DS)
- Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (???; PS3, PS4, X360, XBOne)
- Walking Dead Season 2 (???; ???)
Check in Monday for more awesomeness courtesy of Sammwak!